Monday, June 13, 2005

Let me tell you about our weekend...

Well this weekend really wasn’t as exciting as last weekend. In fact, Tait and I did a lot of things around the house and really didn’t venture out. On Saturday, I ventured out to get a carpet cleaner. The one we purchased about a year ago has finally given out so I had to rent one. I was so excited to get one b/c I know that it makes the floors look so nice. Well, we spent Saturday afternoon cleaning the carpets and let me tell you just how whisper quiet our machine was; I have rented them before and they are supposed to sound about as loud as a vacuum cleaner well ours was like 5 times that sound. I knew it didn’t sound “right” but quite frankly I really didn’t want to pack the stupid thing up and AGAIN and trade it in at Kroger’s so I just went with it. I started in our room and slowly worked the way through the house. Well I was really worried about the noise and Lehna b/c I didn’t want her to wake up from her nice nap. Well Lehna was totally not bothered by the noise she slept the whole time it was around her. The thing was so loud that after you turned it off your ears were ringing it was awful! Well after we cleaned the carpet Tait and I decided we needed a change in our living room so we moved the furniture all around. I really like the way it turned out it seems to have make more room in our living room by dividing up the space a bit. So both Tait and I were pleased by the new change. That was pretty much or day on Saturday just kind of cleaning… not very exciting.

Sunday morning we woke up again to NO HOT WATER! Which is soooo freaking annoying because the dumb pilot light in the water heater kept burning out. Well I didn’t know what that meant and Tait didn’t know what that meant so we called Tim. Tim told us that it means we need a new thermocupler… now I don’t know if any of you have ever had to replace a thermocupler but if you have you know what I’m talking about when I say “it really bites the big one” to replace and if any of your have never replaced a thermocupler and you need to do that… CALL A REPAIR MAN! Well I went out to get a new thermocupler I wasn’t sure what I needed and the very kind man at Home Depot was more than willing to help. My favorite question he asked me was “are you going to be replacing this yourself?” When I said yes he kind of smiled and said “okay.” He KNEW what a pain it was going to be but yet did he warn me NO, the big jerk! Well Tait and I put Lehna in her Swing and she slept as we both endured the most grueling 3 hours EVER!

We turned the water heater off so we wouldn’t blow ourselves up or anything like that and we proceeded to take the thermocupler off. Well unscrewing it from the outside gas thing was much easier then taking it off from the inside. Well our stupid water heater is kind of placed at an angle so the little 4x5 inch hole that you have to stick your big chunky hands in is kind of difficult b/c of the dumb angle it’s placed at. So Tait and I pulled and pulled on this stupid thermocupler thing and FINALLY it came out… Well, in all our pulling, we managed to flatten the part that holds the long piece into place so we then had to spend another hour trying to bend this little itty bitty metal circle thing to shit to try to get it out of the metal holder. Well after 2 ½ hours of us trading off and cursing and kicking the floor we FINALLY got all of the old pieces out of the holder. Well by that time Tait and I was both pretty tired of this stupid water heater and was trying to think if we really had to fix it the rest of the way… well of course we did but we were debating not finishing it. We then had to push the new thermocupler up through the magic holes to push it into place. Well again the freaking angle of the hole make is more than difficult and also the fact that our metal holder is at a jacked up angle so the really long piece that had to go through the itty bitty holes was hitting the bottom of the burner so you really couldn’t push the piece up through the holes… Tait and I were soooooooo frustrated by this stupid water heater and Tait did manage to finish pushing the new thermocupler into place and it now works really well… but we were really debating if the water heater was going to make it!

The whole time we were fixing it we were cursing the wonderful designers of the wonderful invention! And we were commenting on how easy it was to change the thermocupler and that it was just so simple! Tait said that he was going to call the good people at the Smith Company and offer to take them to dinner. Once they joined him at dinner he was going to shake their hand with his right hand and then stab them in the throat with his left hand… stupid designers! It was an interesting Sunday afternoon so a little word of advice if you ever had your thermocupler go out in your water heater… call a repairman. Don’t fix it yourself and save yourself 3 hours!

So I know I didn’t add any pictures yet… to be honest I didn’t take any thing weekend but I am planning on taking some this week so as soon as I get them up I will have Jackie put them up for me! Thanks again for reading about us. Have a great week!

No comments: